Sunday, May 17, 2015

MAGICAL MOMENTS . . .

There is a common misconception floating around that daily life is magical – the house is immaculate, the children perfectly behaved, dinners are gourmet, your spouse brings you flowers each day, you accomplish everything on your to-do list, and life is picture perfect . . . only life is rarely this way (at least for me). Most days my house is in disarray, dirty dishes are stacked in the sink, kids are screaming and/or crying, dinner is whatever we can put in a tortilla, my to-do list is crumpled under the stack of papers from school, and I am still in my yoga pants when my husband walks in the door. More often than not, life is ordinary as we simply run through the motions trying to take care of the countless have-to’s each day. If we’re not careful, we can find ourselves going through life on auto-pilot – not fully aware of the beauty around us, the power of human touch, or the joy to be had. I’ve come to the conclusion that while everyday life is not all that magical, there are magical moments in everyday life.

So how do we experience such magical moments in the busyness of life? We switch off auto-pilot, open our eyes, and become cognizant of the world around us.

I experienced a magical moment just the other night. Although, I was tired, dishes were stacked in the sink and I was adorned in my yoga pants, glasses, and pony tail – I took the opportunity to dance with my husband. I turned on my favorite song (the one that spoke the sentiments of my heart), took him by the hand, and said, “Dance with me.” He wrapped his arms around me and we slow-danced in the kitchen. Not a word was spoken as our hearts found rhythm with each other’s and we moved effortlessly across the wood floor. In that “moment,” it was as though time stood still – the stress, the struggles, and the worries of the day all melted away and were replaced with love – pure, sweet love. The tears silently fell as I burrowed my head into his chest. I was overcome with such admiration for my husband – the sacrifices he makes for our family, his honesty in telling me like it is, for the way he cares for our children, how he can frustrate me to tears, the security I feel in his arms, the way we laugh together, and the way he inspires me to be the best version of me. Within those four minutes, our hearts reconnected in the most magical of ways . . . without words. It was truly beautiful.

So when’s the last time you stopped to live in the “moment?” My challenge to you and me is this: stop feeding the misconception that everyday life is magical and start creating magical moments within everyday life. Find ways to connect with another person – take a walk together, play a game with your child, kneel in prayer with your spouse, watch birds together (if that’s your thing), watch the sunset – it doesn’t matter what you do – just be there 100%, no distractions. Upon doing so, record your experience, your thoughts and feelings, and then pay attention to your attitude the next few days. Yes, struggles will still exist, there will still be demands upon your time, and the never-ending to-do list, but there just might be a smile upon your lips, a skip in your step, and hope in your heart. It is such ‘moments” as slow dancing in the kitchen that can carry us through the darkest of storms to getting through the monotony of daily life. Let’s awaken to beauty and wonder around us and create magical moments with the ones we love most!

-Love me- Kristen




1 comment: