Saturday, May 23, 2015

Dancing with FEAR

FEAR is an ugly four letter word that we inflict upon ourselves. It is something that has plagued mankind since the Fall of Adam and Eve. For some, fear is a constant companion, while for others, a mere acquaintance. Fear can be the paralyzer of life, an experience-crusher, and the thief of dreams. Fear has a way of creating obstacles that stand in the way of our progression. However, as we learn to dance with our fears and face them head on, we can become stronger, wiser, more confident, and better prepared for life’s challenges. The following experiences illustrate what I learned from dancing with FEAR.

THE PARALYZER OF LIFE:

High in the mountains on cool, crisp autumn day, I unknowingly waltzed with FEAR. My husband, our three older children, and I spent the day under the cotton candy clouds cutting and loading firewood onto the trailer. It was late in the afternoon; we were nearly done, when the chainsaw became sandwiched in a tree. We sent the kids to stand by the truck while Adam walked me (his mechanically-challenged wife) through the plan: I was to hold the chainsaw like so, pull it out when I felt the give in the tree, and then run swiftly to the right and out of the way.

My heart began to race as the adrenaline coursed through my veins. I took a deep breath, and carefully placed my hands on the chainsaw. He began to push the tree back and forth when suddenly I felt that give. I pulled the chainsaw out in one smooth motion, suddenly aware of the unfamiliar feel and weight of the chainsaw in my hands. Then I began to run with the speed of a gazelle in flight. My knees high, bounding over the dry leaves and fallen branches. My celebratory thoughts were interrupted with Adam - yelling at me. I was perplexed. Why was he yelling at me? Couldn’t he see how swift I was running with the chainsaw in perfect position? Confused and frustrated, the profanity spewed from me lips as I yelled, “Why are you yelling at me?” He yelled louder, more earnestly, with a look of helplessness on his face, “Move now!” Huh? I darted to the right and watched the tree crash down.

While driving home, Adam related to me what had occurred (from his perspective). I had followed steps one and two beautifully, but apparently failed miserably at step three: run swiftly out of the way. You see, fear wrapped it’s tentacles around my feet (and probably my mind) leaving me paralyzed, running in place, chainsaw in hand while Adam gazed helplessly at me. Fortunately, his loud voice was able to pierce through the veil of fear that was holding me captive. I narrowly missed being crushed by the tree. In that moment, I realized the paralyzing effects of fear and vowed to give more heed to directions and try to remain calm in stressful situations where I feel inadequate.

THE EXPERIENCE-CRUSHER:

 On a warm, sunny winter day, I attempted to Texas-two-step with FEAR and ended up in tears. To begin, I am not a fan of heights (at all). However, I decided to be brave and try skiing again. I felt confident as I cut back and forth down the bunny hill. However, that confidence vanished as I neared the ski lift. FEAR took the reigns (overriding common sense) - which lead me to NOT notice the lap bar - which INCREASED my anxiety and caused me to play out several scenarios of me plummeting to my death – which caused me to MISS the bright yellow sign explaining how to safely exit the ski lift – which led me to PANIC and ultimately caused me to crash as I JUMPED from the lift (skis and poles flying).

Shrouded in a wet, wool blanket of FEAR, my adventure down the mountain was terrifying! The sheer drop-off of the mountain within a 1/8 mile definitely didn’t help. I crashed several times over, struggled to get my skis back on and ended up slalom skiing a time or two down the mountain, and then there were TREES in the middle of the course! What the? Why would they do that? I was able to recall with perfect clarity the many stories I’ve read of people dying because they skied into a tree - which increased my ANXIETY even more! After several more falls, I had had enough. I took off my skis and WALKED down the rest of the mountain. Once I was safe on flat ground, the dam broke and the tears cascaded down my cheeks. I couldn’t believe how real the FEAR was and the control I had given it.

Following another round of tears, lunch, and comforting words from family, I decided to give it a go one more time. I couldn't leave knowing that I had quit and walked down the mountain. I charged the bunny hill and showed it a thing or two (and may have lost a pole and fallen over on the conveyor belt that pulls you up the little hill), but I gradually worked up the courage to try a green run again. The ride on the ski lift was less scary with a lap belt and I even managed to exit somewhat gracefully. My run down the mountain was marked with many falls (the ski patrol checking on me), some more slalom skiing, and a little walking, but I finished the run upright and on both skis. Nelson Mandela once said, “I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” I wouldn’t say I conquered FEAR, but I didn’t quit (even though I really, really wanted to), so therefore, I am brave. I gained greater personal insight that day and learned the value of laughter.

THE THIEF OF DREAMS:

“There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve:
the fear of failure.” -Paulo Coelho
Following an explosive creative session with my brother on a beautiful spring day, I began to tango with FEAR. Having talked about writing a book together for years, we were finally together brainstorming and doing something about it . . . it was both exciting and frightening. I began to realize that it is far easier to talk about something than to actually do it. Upon returning home, self-doubt and fear of failure swept in. Am I up for such a task? Do I even have the time? Am I a good enough writer? Where do I begin? What am I thinking – writing a book? Who would read it? What if I fail? If I fail, if reflects not only on me but also upon my brother . . . And so, my thoughts gave way to FEAR which gave way to excuses, inaction, and guilt. My notes have been collecting nothing but dust for the past month.

Yann Martel author of Life of Pi, said, “[Fear] goes for your weakest spot, which it finds with unnerving ease. It begins in your mind, always ... so you must fight hard to express it. You must fight hard to shine the light of words upon it. Because if you don't, if your fear becomes a wordless darkness that you avoid, perhaps even manage to forget, you open yourself to further attacks of fear because you never truly fought the opponent who defeated you.”

I was talking with a dear friend the other day about my fears with the book. It was the first time I had voiced my concerns. She listened intently, offered insight, reassured me of my abilities, and then simply told me to start writing. Giving voice to my fears was quite liberating and empowering as I was no longer bound to FEAR like a slave, but free to pursue my dreams. Writing this piece has given me the clarity and the courage to pursue my dream. Therefore, I will follow the wise advice of my friend and start writing. I don’t have to have all the answers to my questions to begin. I just need to commence and cast the FEAR aside.

Is FEAR holding you back – paralyzing your life, crushing your experiences, or stealing your dreams? If so, then it is time to choose your definition of F-E-A-R:

Forget Everything And Run or Face Everything And Rise
The choice is yours.

It is my hope that we will rise and face our FEARS. In doing so, I know that we will become stronger, wiser, more confident, and better prepared for life’s challenges.   ~Love me~Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment