In Psalms 46:10 it reads, “Be still and know that I am God.”
And in Job 37:14, the Lord tells Job . . . “stand still and consider the
wondrous works of God.”
These two
scriptures have influenced my life in many ways. In 2011, these passages of scripture spoke volumes to my heart and offered me peace in a sea of uncertainty. The following is an excerpt from my journal following the birth of our fourth child just two months prior:
“I had one
of those overwhelming days on Tuesday. I found myself in the midst
of pity party. I was missing my family as they are all together on
vacation and I am 1,000+ miles away. I won't relive my pity party for you, but
I was feeling pretty blue. The kids were fighting and crying, Gabe had gotten
hurt for the umpteenth time that day (he is accident prone), beds were still
not made after having washed the sheets, Adam was working late, the house that
I had just cleaned was slipping away into disarray and chaos, and I had reached
the end of my rope.
I decided to give myself a time-out before I lost it. I walked outside and let myself escape into nature. I stopped, took a deep breath - breathing in the freshness of the recent rain, and let my mind wander as I admired the beauty of my surroundings. The sky was alive with vibrant colors as the setting sun engulfed the remaining storm clouds. Shades of pinks, oranges and yellows swirled and broke through the bleak grays and blues. I don't know that I've ever stared so intently at the sky - trying to capture the beauty in a series of mental snapshots. (I didn't dare get my camera for fear that the moment would slip away). Birds were chirping and a cool, gentle breeze kissed my cheeks. I closed my eyes and allowed myself to get lost in the moment.
I decided to give myself a time-out before I lost it. I walked outside and let myself escape into nature. I stopped, took a deep breath - breathing in the freshness of the recent rain, and let my mind wander as I admired the beauty of my surroundings. The sky was alive with vibrant colors as the setting sun engulfed the remaining storm clouds. Shades of pinks, oranges and yellows swirled and broke through the bleak grays and blues. I don't know that I've ever stared so intently at the sky - trying to capture the beauty in a series of mental snapshots. (I didn't dare get my camera for fear that the moment would slip away). Birds were chirping and a cool, gentle breeze kissed my cheeks. I closed my eyes and allowed myself to get lost in the moment.
And
as I did, a thought entered my mind, almost like a voice declaring, "Be
still and know that I am God." I slowly opened my eyes and realized that I
was beholding the majesty and love of God in the sunset, the
mountains, and the breeze. God's love is everywhere, for everywhere that we
look is the fingerprint of God. He created this beautiful world and all things
in it, even me. He loves me for who I am - weaknesses and all. I took a deep
breath, threw my head back and gazed again at the wondrous sky. I then began to
pray. I asked the Lord to strengthen me and help me be the mom my children need
me to be, the wife Adam needs be to be, the daughter, the sister, the friend I
need to be.
I drank in the beauty and serenity of that moment, realizing it was just what I needed. Abruptly, my dreamlike moment came to a screeching halt, with crying and shouts for me, the mom. I walked inside armed with a little more patience, love, and gentleness. I had been strengthened and enlightened. It's amazing how the Lord can speak to us if we but stop and listen. How many times have I missed such opportunities because I was too busy trying to tackle my never-ending to-do list? More times than I care to admit. I'm grateful for that beautiful sunset and the opportunity it gave me to ponder and reflect upon my life . . .” (Kristen’s Journal – July 19, 2011)
Elder
Richard G. Scott asked, “Do you take time to discover each day how beautiful
your life can be? How long has it been since you watched the sun set? The
departing rays kissing the clouds, trees, hills, and lowlands good night,
sometimes tranquilly, sometimes with exuberant bursts of color and form. What
of the wonder of a cloudless night when the Lord unveils the marvels of His
heavens—the twinkling stars, the moonlight rays—to ignite our imagination with
His greatness and glory?” (April 1996 General Conference)
How
long has it been since you watched the sun set? When was the last time that you
allowed yourself to “Be Still?” It is my hope that you will join me and discover the
peace that comes from being still – allowing yourself to draw closer to our
Heavenly Father through daily communication with Him in prayer, that you will find answers to your questions through scripture study, and that you will feel of
His love for you in the beauty of His creations. It is a timeless formula that continues to provide me peace in the midst of fierce storms to the chaos of everyday life. Try it for yourself and see if it works for you too.
~Love me~ Kristen
~Love me~ Kristen
No comments:
Post a Comment